What to Do and Not Do After Water Damage
After a flood has happened in your home, whether by the weather or a leaking pipe, there are a few things that you should immediately do. It’s easy to just dab around and try to get the visible water up, but it’s critical that you get the water spots dry and get loose items removed and away from the wetness.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.