If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (724) 473-0745

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The perils of fire damage and smoke destruction.

6/13/2019 (Permalink)

No one expects a fire will ever be seen in their home, and they pray their home will never be engulfed or destroyed by fire, but the reality is, fires are not uncommon. Fires can start in the home from a wood burning stove or fireplace, from an unattended candle, from burning wires, or in older structures, from short-circuited breakers. Fires can totally destroy a structure, but they can also cause smoke damage when the actual fire damage was minimal. 

When a fire has been in your home, it impacts the air, penetrates the pores of soft surfaces, and causes a stench that you will never forget. Many people become very emotional when their belongings are penetrated with smoke odor. As with all damages to your home, the sooner you can get someone out there who has practice in reversing fire and smoke damage, the more likely your valuables can be restored. 

The smoke from a single fire, can cause odor for the life of that object. Stuffed animals, clothing and bed clothes are all items that provide for the absorption of smoke odor. You need to take steps inside of the home such as installing smoke detectors and C02 monitors to help keep the air quality good and to be alerted if a fire or smoke is found anywhere in the home or structure. 

If you suspect a wire fire, you can smell something odd inside of the house. Melting or burning wire has a unique smell. You may have experienced it during a previous fire. The odor is unmistakable. Walk around the walls and touch the surface looking for heated places, turn off the main breaker to your house and immediately get someone out there to look at the wiring and see if there is something heating up inside the wall. 

While burning candles, but sure to keep the wicks trimmed down so the flames that often get higher when a candle has been burned too much, don’t reach any above surface such as a counter top or curtain. Candles can cause tremendous damage when left unattended. 

The best way to protect against fire damage is to keep at it with the inspections of your home and the things you do with fire inside of the home. 

Other News

View Recent Posts