Mold can grow on surfaces in many locations of your home or business. Whether your property has sustained damage from a storm, leaky pipe or other water emergency, mold can grow. So many people think of mold and panic because of health concerns, although mold is a natural substance that aggressively grows with water moisture and heat combine.
Any time water touches a surface that is remotely porous, it can start to invite mold to grow. When the mold begins to form, it reproduces itself and starts to spread into surrounding surfaces. In the spreading, the property owner now becomes aware that mold may be present.
If you feel like your property may have started to form mold on surfaces untreated, you can start to pay attention to what you smell. Mold has a sharp odor to it that makes you stop and ask yourself what it is that you are smelling. Take note of this smell and start to ask yourself where it may be coming from.
Often mold will start to form underneath a sink on the thin wood that is usually the cabinet floor. Get a flashlight to help you look deeply into the wood to see if there are signs. These signs include discoloration, spots or what looks like ink marks.
Once you have isolated your suspicions of mold growth, it’s time to call a professional. You can treat mold with commercial treatment, but where one mold grows, there is a good chance of more. Mold is not simply something that makes people sick who are sensitive, but it’s a pain to clear and clean. Mitigation is the key to keeping mold away from valuables.